Brunch was another good one. No, it wasn’t good. It was phenomenal. I might even consider it to be better than last month‘s brunch!
I’ve had a craving for stuffed French toast since I had it last spring break. Just the thought of fruit and cheese in between thick slices of eggy bread makes my heart happy. Then Christine posted her Caramel Apple French Toast and I knew it was time I made le French toast. I wanted to make her recipe but mom doesn’t like baked apples. Loser. So we decided on this.
It was our first time using mascarpone cheese. It looks like cream cheese but it’s much softer. We mixed that with Grandma’s homemade strawberry jam and stuffed some French bread with it. Then we marinated a package of strawberries with powdered sugar, milk, and balsamic vinegar. I was skeptical about the balsamic, but trust me, it just works. Without it the filling would be a touch too sweet. Dip your bread into an egg/milk/vanilla mixture and soak it all up.
Then you butter a griddle and place your drippy bread to cook. Top it with a cake pan, it helps the bread cook thoroughly!
Flip the bread after 4-5 minutes and cook for a couple more. Top it with your strawberries, and maybe some powdered sugar or maple syrup if you like sweetness. It really doesn’t even need them because it’s sweet enough!
- 1/2 loaf French bread (I found wheat at my grocery store!)
- 4 oz mascarpone cheese
- 4 oz strawberry jam
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 package fresh strawberries
- 1/2 teaspoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- butter, for griddle
- Slice 4-5 thick pieces of bread. Cut the middles, being careful not to poke through the sides or bottom.
- Mix the mascarpone and strawberry jam/preserves. Spoon it into the cuts in the bread.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, and vanilla. Place the bread into it and make sure it's all drippy.
- Mix sliced strawberries, powdered sugar, balsamic vinegar, and milk. Let sit while you cook the bread.
- Heat a griddle to medium/high and melt butter. Place about 4 slices on griddle and cover with a 9 x 13 pan. This helps to cook evenly.
- After about 4 minutes lift pan and flip bread. Cook for about 3 more minutes, or until golden brown.
- Top with your strawberry compote and enjoy!