A recipe perfect for when that craving for something sweet hits. These are healthy enough to eat for breakfast!
The reason I don’t bake very often is this: when I bake, I eat. (Also I’m not very successful at baking haha;). I tell myself I’m only going to have one, but come on, who stops at one? Two is practically the same as three. I can’t end on an odd number so three turns into four. And this number grows exponentially until I physically can’t bear to think about food ever again. Then we repeat the whole process in about an hour.
I’ve had a major craving for blueberry muffins for a few weeks now. Every time I look in the freezer, I see the bags of blueberries I picked in the summer. Now that fresh blueberries are going to be in season soon, I want to use up all of my frozen! Seriously, I’ve been eating blueberries like crazy. In oatmeal, pancakes, basically any breakfast food you can think of. I’m surprised my skin isn’t a light purple yet. When I saw a recipe for blueberry muffins on Pinch of Yum, I knew I had to make some.
When I first photographed these muffins I just wasn’t happy with the pictures. Finally I added the glaze and I realized that you need a glaze. Both for the pictures, and for eating. The glaze adds that perfect amount of sweetness, also because the muffins aren’t overly sweet themselves. And a glaze makes everything prettier, don’t we agree?
These muffins have tasty blueberries in every bite.
Did I mention this recipe only makes 3 muffins? Granted they’re jumbo muffins. It would probably make about 6 regular sized muffins, but everyone knows that bigger is better. These are perfect – one for me, one for mom. . . . another for me.
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 heaping tbsp ground flax
- 1/2 cup blueberries (I used frozen)
- coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond milk
- dash of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease 3 jumbo muffin tins with crisco (flour would work too).
- Mix oats and buttermilk in a medium/large bowl, and let sit for about 15 minutes.
- Add the egg, vanilla, brown sugar, and melted coconut oil. Stir it up.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder + soda, ground flax, and salt. Add that mixture to the liquids and stir until just combined.
- Spoon a little bit into the bottom of each muffin liner. Then mix the blueberries with the rest of the batter. Sprinkle with a little coconut sugar, if desired. Evenly distribute the rest of the batter into muffin tins and bake for 20-24 minutes.
- While the muffins are baking, combine the powdered sugar, almond milk, and vanilla in a small bowl. Once the muffins are cooled (please wait!!) top with the glaze.
So I ate the last one and now I want more. Maybe we should just double the recipe and make 6 jumbo muffins… 😉