Salmon. Do you like it?
I used to be disgusted at the thought of salmon. It’s so ugly haha! I tried grilling it last summer but couldn’t get over that fishy taste. Still, I kept eating it on occasion since it has so many health benefits. Finally, I’ve developed a taste for it and think it’s pretty yummy!
Today I’m sharing not one, but two recipes for the little fishy! First up: Savory Pesto Salmon.
This couldn’t get much easier. It’s basically two ingredients!
Take some salmon, slather it with some pesto, and bake. Simple and tasty!
On the side we had couscous. It was our first time ever making it. Apparently couscous quadruples in size when you cook it, so I still have about half of that bowl in the fridge. I’ve been eating couscous as much as I eat peanut butter!
- frozen salmon filets
- Let salmon thaw overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 250*F.
- Butter the bottom of a pan to cook salmon on. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper too.
- Place salmon filets on the pan and cover with pesto, salt and pepper.
- Bake salmon for about 18 minutes.
- White stuff? Don't worry. It's part of the salmon! Totally edible!
I was originally going to make a strawberry kiwi topping, but when I ran to the store (seriously. ran. mom wouldn’t drive me.) kiwis were $1.29 each. Mangoes were $1.89 and about triple the size, so I picked up my very first mango ever!
The fruit mixture is so simple. Strawberries, mango, basil, honey/agave, and a dash of pepper. I used dried basil but I’m sure fresh basil would be much better!
This salmon is pan seared but you could bake it as in the pesto recipe. I prefer it baked, but some days you just don’t want to turn the oven on!
- 2 salmon filets
- 1/3 cup strawberries
- 1/3 cup mango
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp honey
- salt, pepper, butter
- Butter the salmon and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a pan to medium high heat and melt more butter.
- Place salmon filets on the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Mix fruit, basil, honey, and a dash of pepper in a small bowl.
- Top salmon with strawberry mango mixture and serve!
Which would you prefer – sweet or savory salmon?