Kelvin and I had another cooking adventure! Last time we made pumpkin and apple pies, and this time we made Swedish rye bread. I’m starting a new section called In the Kitchen with Kelvin so I can have a place for all of our adventures!
A few weeks ago he brought over both some rye and whole wheat for me to try and see which one I wanted to make. While the whole wheat was super yummy, it’s not often that I get to have rye. So rye it was!
First we warmed the milk (not water!) mixed with caraway seeds to about 110-115 degrees. Yep, we’re working with yeast! It’s the first time I’ve successfully used it so that’s pretty awesome.
Once we mixed (punch) the dough we set it out on a floured surface and formed it into a bread-looking ball. Kelvin said that you could bake the bread in the maker but it wouldn’t resemble a loaf of bread.
We let it rise about 45 minutes under a light dishcloth. Once it was a height suitable for bread we threw it in the oven to bake it! Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think putting it in the oven kills the yeast and therefore stops it from rising anymore.
While the bread was rising we made a pumpkin pie! The pumpkin is from Kelvin’s pumpkin patch. If you haven’t had pumpkin pie made with homegrown pumpkin, you’re missin’ out.
While the bread was rising/baking I went out back too. It was one of those days where the sun feels amazing on your skin and you’re just so happy to be a part of this beautiful world.
When I got home I enjoyed a piece with half butter, half peanut butter. Bliss.Swedish Rye Bread2014-05-19 11:19:00Yields 1Possibly the tastiest homemade Swedish rye bread you'll ever taste!Write a reviewCook Time27 minTotal Time2 hrCook Time27 minTotal Time2 hrIngredients
- 2.5 teaspoons yeast
- 10 oz milk
- 1.5 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp honeyAfter mixing once add
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup dark rye flour
- 1/2 tsp saltInstructions
- Microwave milk + caraway seeds for 90 seconds. Place a food thermometer in the milk and wait until it reads 110F-115F. Meanwhile, in a bread maker add brown sugar and yeast. Pour the milk into the bread maker.
- Add a cup of whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup white flour, 1 tbsp each of oil, honey, and molasses. Set bread machine to dough setting and let mix for 5 minutes.
- Add a cup of wheat flour, 1/2 cup dark rye flour, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Restart the dough setting. Let the dough rise until it's about 1/2 an inch from the top of the pan on the bread maker, about 25 minutes.
- Once it's risen 1/2 inch from the top of the pan, start the dough setting once more. Mix until it's beaten down, then transfer to a floured surface.
- Knead the dough with your hands, folding in over itself over and over. Form it into a bread resembling loaf and place in a greased pan. Place a light dishtowel over the loaf and let it rise about 45 minutes.
- When the bread resembles a loaf remove the towel and sprinkle a little flour. Bake it in the oven at 400F for 27 minutes.
- Take the bread out, dust the flour off, and spread a little butter all over the crust. This prevents the crust from getting hard.
- Slice and enjoy!The Yooper Girl http://theyoopergirl.com/