Leave it to me to finish my Recipe Redux recipe the day before I have to post it 😉
I didn’t know if I would be able to participate this month, now that I’m living at my grandparent’s house – will I be able to bake??
Luckily I don’t think I’ll have a problem. Granted, I probably won’t be cooking as much as I usually do, but if I can at least do a little bit I’ll be fine! I’ve been so busy moving/setting up the garage sale that I don’t even have much time for experimenting in the kitchen anyway.
This month’s theme:
“Floral Flavors – Nothing brightens up a dish like a real flower! Whether you live in the northern or the southern hemisphere, edible flowers can add flavor and aroma to salads, breads, spreads, desserts or dips. Make your recipe bloom with rose water, flowering herbs, floral teas, dried lavender blossoms or even fresh flowers like nasturtiums, violets, borage, squash, sunflowers or pretty much any blossom in a vegetable garden.”
Flowers?! Um, okay. Definitely a little out of my comfort zone, but that’s why I love the Recipe ReDux – it challenges me to try new things! I decided to go with dried lavender, which I found at my local health food store.
Doesn’t a blueberry tart totally sound like something you’d find at Grandma’s house? I had to run outside (to try to find my flour sack for pictures… didn’t find it) and when I walked into the house it just smelled like a grandma’s house should smell. <3
Tarts are actually super duper easy. The only downside is that you have to let the dough chill for a half hour before you bake it. But you can take that time and eat some lunch like it did! Plus the dough is made with whole wheat flour. Bonus!
OKAY. Let’s do it. I used wild blueberries from camp that I froze last summer. They’re smaller than store bloobs and, in my opinion, way better. We’re gonna coat them in some lemon juice, lavender, and coconut sugar.
Coconut sugar? I <3 that stuff. It’s so much better than white sugar and it’s basically a superfood.
Once we roll out the dough, we spoon the bloob mixture into the center and start folding it all around. Then we brush the top with some melted buttah + more coconut sugar <3
This is kind of a mini tart. I didn’t want to make a normal-sized tart because I only have one bag of bloobs left. Gotta save some for my oats 😉
Look at that juice dripping!!!
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp cold butter
- 3-6 tbsp ice water
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp culinary lavender
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- In a medium/large bowl, add flour and salt. Cube in the butter and mix it in with a pastry blender until you have pea sized crumbs. Add in the water 1 tbsp at a time until it forms a dough. Form a circle, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine 1 cup of blueberries (mine were frozen) with 2 tbsp coconut sugar, 1 tsp lavender, and 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice. Mix it around and let it sit until the dough is ready.
- Heat oven to 400F and take the dough out and place it on a lightly floured surface. Use a rolling pin and flatten it out to a circle about 1/4-1/8 inch thick. Spoon the blueberry mixture into the center, leaving a ring of about 2 inches around the edges. Spoon the remaining juice on top of the blueberries.
- Start folding the outside of the dough over the blueberries, leaving some of them exposed. Work your way around the whole circle, occasionally pinching to make sure it stays. Brush with about 1 tbsp of melted butter and sprinkle with a little coconut sugar.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Let it sit until it's cool enough then slice and enjoy!
- If you're not a fan of lavender, just take it out!
- To make this vegan, just use earth balance or coconut oil in place of the butter.
- Best served with vanilla ice cream.