WIAW – Small & Simple Meals

I’ve made an effort to reduce my veggie intake and I can honestly say that I feel great! I guess it is possible to eat too many vegetables. I almost feel like cutting back has increased my appetite – yes please! Here’s a look at what I ate on Monday. Yesterday I was gone all day- fun post on that coming soon!

WIAWbutton

celebrating WIAW!

Breakfast

oatmeal strawberries banana blueberry sunbutter

{oats cooked in whole milk + water with banana, cinnamon, + chia, topped with banana, strawberries, bloobs, and sunbutter}

Meal #2

yogurt chia banana granola

{peach yogurt + granola + banana + chia}

Workout

walk

{4 mile walk with mom}

Meal#3

avocado toast apple sunbutter

{avocado toast with salt, pepper, & garlic powder + an apple with sunbutter}

Pre-Basketball Snack

toast peas milk

{toast with natural peanut butter & banana  + peas + a glass of whole milk}

muffin sandwich

and a bite of a muffin!

Post-Basketball Meal

toast avocado peanut butter banana chocolate milk

{one piece of toast with avocado, salt, pepper, & garlic powder, one piece with half peanut butter, half sunbutter, and banana + a glass of chocolate milk}

muffin bite

{more muffin}

milk + muffin

{more muffin & a little bit of whole milk}

muffin muffin

{a liiiittle bit more muffin ;) }

Lots of muffin eating yesterday. But how can you resist these?!

blueberry banana muffins

Earlier this summer I said that I wanted to try eating smaller meals throughout the day rather than eating 3 big meals, and I can honestly say I like it! What’s good is that if I feel hungry I’ll have a snack; in the past I never snacked unless I mentally prepared the time to snack in my head.

It was even a little hard to remember to take a picture of everything I ate. In the past, I didn’t let anything past my mouth that I didn’t take a picture of. Now I can snack without worrying about how it will affect my next meal.

Do you eat mini-meals throughout the day or do you eat a few big meals?

theyoopergirl

Leigha is the founder and writer of The Yooper Girl. She has a passion for living life, eating good food, running long distances, and cats.

More Posts - Website

Twitter

Comments

1. 1

says

I am a bit of both, I have mostly larger meals, but still graze throughout the day to make sure my calorie intake is up enough to sustain my training. I love that you took 4 pics of the muffin hehe! I would have devoured that thing in one go….good for you having restraint though! Have a wonderful wednesday leigha!
    Tina muir recently posted…Secrets to Success: Arm Strengthening ExercisesMy Profile

• 4

says

I was feeling like I had to eat a ton of veggies for every meal when in reality I was getting more than the recommended daily serving. And I don’t think I was getting enough calories from a ton of veggies!

• 5

says

oh i get you yeah i dont think i ever get the ight ammount of calories i used a counter once and was wayy under but im not not full and excercise loads so it seems to be enough for me :P
        lucy recently posted…some of last weeks eats :)My Profile

2. 6

says

I’ll move in with you for campfires and all of the food you’re eating. Oats, bananas, muffins – lots of good food.
    Cutting down on the vegetables has been making a huge difference for me, too. I was afraid I wouldn’t get saturated but upping the grains helped and now I actually feel I’m even more sensitive to vegtables than before. Just a day of too many and my stomach is letting me know in the most uncomfortable way.
    By the way: good to know I’m not the only one snacking on peas. I’m usually a chickpea fiend but they got competition by plain old green peas just these past days.
    Oh and did you talk about the muffins/ share the recipe before? I could go for one of those right now.
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Bend it like [no]ham!My Profile

• 7

says

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who cut down vegetables! I’m eating more carbs than before and it’s making me food so much better :)
      Peas are so yummy!! When I was little I’d ask for them out of the can!
      The muffins are a spin-off of a recipe I’ll be posting very soon :)

3. 8

says

Those muffins do look really good! I try to eat three large meals but usually have a few snacks as well. I’ve just always been a snacker! I feel like I get to enjoy more food that way :-)

4. 12

says

So I’m sitting here with a toasted english muffin starting at your ridiculously delicious looking oat bowl and suddenly, it just doesn’t seem to do it for me anymore ;). It almost seems too pretty to eat haha! And don’t even get me started with those muffins. Is that cream cheese frosting :shock: . ? Either way, I’ll take 12, please ;)

• 13

says

DUH, cream cheese. That’s the only way to do it, girl ;) and oh my gosh, that’s such a problem for me. I always like to make my food look really nice, but then I hate digging my spoon in and ruining it. #foodbloggerprobs lolol :D

5. 14

says

I do a mix of big and small meals. Dinner is generally a big meal over the summer because most (if not all) of the 5 of us can sit down and eat. Lunch tends to be a medium meal, and I snack a lot since my breakfast is generally super small/burned off by running in the morning :)
    Liz @ Carpe Diem and Run recently posted…Monday Miles #22My Profile

• 15

says

We are like opposite, haha! I love a big hearty breakfast :D and we don’t always sit down for a dinner, so I can make whatever!

• 17

says

I wouldn’t say I’m fuller, but rather more satisfied! When I eat big meals I’m super full and then not quite sure when to eat next!

• 19

says

I might make them again, so if I do I’ll take pictures so I can post the recipe on the blog! :) Just warning you though – they have sugar and white flour hehe ;) but no butter!

• 21

says

I don’t know why I keep making desserts – I can’t stop snacking on them!! I’m better than I used to be though – I would make a loaf of banana bread and eat half the loaf in a sitting!

6. 22

says

Girl after my own heart. I could live off of toast, avocados, bananas, and yogurt. Those muffins!! *heart eyes*
    I’ve actually shifted in the opposite direction now in terms of meals. I used to eat a bunch of smaller meals, but lately I’ve been eating bigger meals with more time in between. It’s just the way the cookie has crumbled and it works for me! I still love to snack though :)
    alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…WIAW: A PoemMy Profile

• 23

says

Um.. you forgot peanut butter ;)
      During the school year I’ll tend to eat larger meals and less snacking since that’s just easier. But it’s nice to change it up in the summer!

7. 24

says

That peach granola yogurt looks phenomenal & so do the muffins!! As for meals, somedays I snack and some days I just have meals. It kind of depends. Usually I snack a lot when I am rowing. I guess I just get hungry more often!
    Brittany @ DulceVie recently posted…Peru VideoMy Profile

8. 26

says

Avocado on toast is like … the best combo in existence. I usually eat three meals and a few snacks, but it really depends on what my day is like – when i’m just at home studying i snack non stop :)

9. 28

says

Yay another fellow Michigan gal :)
    I live in the metro detroit area, though, but still, us girls gotta stick together!

And damn straight those muffins looks awesome! I woulda been snacking on them allllll day long as well lol.

I’ve tried both mini meals and three large meals. I think both have their merits and I alternate between doing bigger and smaller meals just depending on how I feel that day or what I am doing. If I’m less busy, Ill tend to have larger meals because I feel like I can just relax and let them “digest” if that makes sense!

Have a great week!
    Natasha recently posted…WIAWMy Profile

• 29

Woohooo Michigan! :D
      I am the total opposite! If I’m not busy I tend to snack more since I have time to put together small meals! I’ll eat big meals if I’m busy doing other stuff, haha!

10. 30

says

Oh my gosh I just read your blog for the weeks I’ve missed, and I’ve missed your blog SO much while I’ve been on vacation!! All of your recipes are giving me some major food envy. For a while I was actually getting too many veggies too! Then I cut back and started getting too much carbs. Sometimes finding a balance is really hard! I’m loving all your simple meals. When in doubt, a simple meal is always the way to go xx

• 31

says

Thank you Katherine :) :) but really – can you actually have too many carbs?! haha. kidding ;) it is hard to find a balance! I’m just trying to eat what my body is telling me and it’s seeming to work!

11. 32

says

Your oatmeal looks delicious! I can’t even really remember the last time I made hot oats… This summer camp has been making me SO HUNGRY. So I’ve definitely been snacking more than I normally would. It used to bother me if I was hungry between meals or like you said, at “non-allowed” snack time, but now I just try to honor my hunger.
    molly@this life is sparkling recently posted…Weekend in pictures.My Profile

12. 34

says

Your food always looks so delicious! Can’t even deal. I’m kind of in between with snacking/big meals. I definitely have three full meals and then like two or three smallish snacks!
    Allie recently posted…Our HoneymoonMy Profile