Utah Part 1 – Driving Out, Dress Shopping, and Trader Joes

Me, my mom, my aunt, and my cousin drove out to Salt Lake City last week to bring my other cousin home from Utah and to help my other cousin plan wedding things(!).

It was a 5:30 am wake up to leave from Michigan last Saturday.

misc collage

1,614 miles to Salt Lake.

There’s not much to say about the ride… a whole lot of reading and talking!

IMG_3237

We stopped in the middle of Nebraska to rest up for the night.

states

After another long day of driving, we got to Utah around 8:30 Sunday night (which is technically 10:30 my timezone!). We went out for dinner and drove by the Temple.

temple

Enough with the driving… here is the good stuff!

running cousins

Monday morning I went for a quick run with my cousins. ps Utah hills are KILLER.

breakfast crew

The girls went out to breakfast then dress shopping for the wedding which is next June!

dresses

My cousin Laura and I are going to be bridesmaids!

bridesmaids

After dress shopping we chilled out for a little bit at the pool.

swimming

Then we went to a park for a picnic with my cousins’ family!

picnic

family picnic

And then it started down pouring.

IMG_3044

Monday I also went to Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s for the first time!!!

whole foodsI can’t believe I’ve been missing out on these places my whole life. I kind of want to move there just so I can have them less than 4 hours away from me like they are now.

trader joesThen we got in trouble for taking pictures in TJ’s… oops ;)

lulu lemon

Went to Lulu Lemon for the first time. Want everything in there.

Also: EAST HIGH. Aka where High School Musical was filmed!!

east high

I passed it on my run every day.

This is the view from my cousin’s street!

salt lake city view

salt lake city night view

That’s about it for Monday! I’m planning on doing another post for Tuesday, another for Wednesday + the drive home, then another for all the food :)

Have you ever been to Utah?

theyoopergirl

Leigha is the founder and writer of The Yooper Girl. She has a passion for living life, eating good food, running long distances, and cats.

More Posts - Website

Twitter

Signature

Comments

1. 1

says

WOW! Looks like you had one heck of a trip! So many things I could comment on, but just glad you enjoyed TJ and whole foods, they suck you in! I am sure the hills in Utah are tough, makes you appreciate knowing where the flat parts are in your hometown right? :)

2. 9

says

I just did an 1000+ mile road trip too, so I feel your pain. I have so so much to comment. FIrst- ALL of those dresses are gorgeous. You guys are going to be beautiful bridesmaids in any of those! Okay, YOU SAW EAST HIGH? I’m so jealous. I’m in love with the HSM trilogy. I actually watched HSM 3 today, so I know what to expect from senior year (and let me tell you, the expectations are now REALLY high!) I feel like a proud mama that you went to TJ and Whole Foods. Those stores are like the epitome of grocery stores, so I’m so happy that you got to see what all the rave is about! Also, in that one sort of blurry picture outside of Trader Joe’s can you see the lady sort of posing behind you? Photobombing! The hills in Utah must be rough! I ran some in the mountains of North Carolina, and my calves were not happy! Running hills isn’t good for your knees, but it’s great for your soul :)

• 10

says

Hahahaha I love you and your novel comments :) omg I’m so happy I finally went to the grocery stores! It makes me mad to go to my local places now.. they literally have NOTHING. And I know! Right after I took the pic outside TJ’s we laughed about it! I love cool people. lol :D

3. 11

says

Ah it looks like Utah was so much fun! I know, I’ve only been to trader joe’s that’s a couple hours away, and I’ve never been to whole foods! And I can’t believe you saw the high school where HSM was filmed – it immediately brought back the good old days haha

4. 13

says

East High?! A little starstruck ;) Hooray for TJ’s and Whole Foods! I love how you took a picture of the nut butter section. Obviously the most important part.
    I’ve actually always wanted to go to Utah. There are so many gorgeous places to hike there!

• 14

says

Nut butter is the most important part of any store, anywhere ;)
      I had no idea how beautiful Utah is! And I didn’t even get to hike… road trip together?! ;)

5. 15

says

Omg EAST HIGH! I love seeing places where movies and TV shows were filmed. Also, I’m still a sucker for the original High School Musical. So cheesy and fun. I’ve never been to Trader Joes or Whole Foods. I want to go so badly to both of them. Looks like a fun trip :)

• 16

says

I think the original HSM will always be the best one :) you must go to them as soon as possible!! I can’t believe I waited so long!

6. 17

says

I had no clue High School Musical was filmed in Utah! Too legit to quit! I want to watch that movie now, haha. Did you guys get your bridemaids dresses at David’s Bridal?! I’m in a wedding next month and I am wearing the purple one that your cousin is wearing in the top left corner of the four pictures (with the lacy “key hold” back), except it’s long. I bet you will love being a bridesmaid! Weddings are so much fun :)

I can’t wait to read more about your trip!

7. 22

says

I’ve never given Utah a second thought in my life, but I want to go there right now! Check the nut butter stock in Trader Joes *gasp*, so beautiful. I can picture myself possibly coming close to incurring a hernia over my excitement at the chance of entering the store.
    Dress shopping with the girls is too much fun, more so with a specific occasion in mind. I love the white chiffon high-low dress on you!
    Oh and really, the other cousin for the other cousin at the intro… hahaa it got me grinning :) .

• 23

says

I never knew how beautiful Utah is! It’s a whole different world out West – I didn’t know how much the terrain changes as you go through the county! Thanks, Ms.j :)

Trackbacks