I don’t really know what to post about anymore. Now that I’ve recapped my whole trip to Utah, I’m not sure what to write about! I like to write about my days, but lately they’ve all been pretty similar —-> Cross Country, Eat, Work, Eat, Bed. And pretty soon throwing school in there too.
I’ve always wanted to be a more recipe focused blog, so I guess I’ll start with this.
Whole Wheat Pesto Pizza.
I definitely prefer the taste of whole wheat over white dough. I made this as a plain cheese pizza with white flour too and while it turned out well, this is way better.
The kale got a little crispy on top.. I’m not quite sure how to fix that. Maybe add more cheese? If anyone has tips to prevent topping from burning on pizza please share in the comments!
I based the dough off of Sally’s recipe and it was wonderful. The perfect thickness and density but still light and airy. YUM.
Of course you can be fancy and make your own pesto for this but I don’t have a food processor sooo that’s not in the question for me
- 3/4 c warm water
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/8 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 c whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c pesto
- 1 1/2 cups kale
- 1 cup mushroom
- 1/3 onion, chopped
- 2 oz mozzarella
- 2 oz feta
- In a stand mixer, add sugar, warm water (105F-115F), and yeast. Let sit or stir for about 5 minutes, until yeast bubbles or foams. Then add the oil, honey, and salt and mix on low for 30 seconds. Add 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour and mix on low until it starts to come together. You might need to add more; I added about 1/4 cup more.
- Either knead on a floured surface or use the mixer on low/medium speed for 5 more minutes. Dough shouldn't be sticky!
- Once it's not sticky and bounces back when you push it, transfer dough to a lightly oiled mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it sit in a warm, draft free area for at least an hour, until it's doubled in size.
- After it's doubled, punch it down to let the air out. Flip it over a few times and place it back in the mixing bowl. Cover again with the plastic wrap and let sit for about 30 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 475F. Take the dough out of the bowl and place it on an oiled and floured pizza pan. Use a rolling pin or your hands to stretch the dough to a pizza size. Pinch the ends to form a crust. Spread pesto, onions, kale, mushrooms, feta, and mozzarella. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until crusts are golden brown.
Question: do you want to see more recipes or more life focused posts?
Linking up with Tina for Meatless Monday