Um… it’s already Day Four of 2015? Like how did that happen? Day Four means tomorrow is Day Five which means back to school 🙁 these two weeks off have been glorious.
But really, how was everyone’s New Year’s? Mine was really fun although I admit I struggled to stay awake that late!
Despite Christmas being over and going back to school, there are a few good things about the new year.
- Cross country skiing! I’ve only gone out once so far but I can’t wait to go more. This year I want to branch out from the 3.6 mile loop I usually do. I think it would be so much fun to pack a bag and head out for the whole day, stopping for lunch on the trail! Tell me someone will go with me?! Then when we get home I can have a crockpot full of chili and some homemade bread ready ♥ yes yes yes.
- Birthdayyy month! It’s a big one this year – sixteen! I was actually supposed to take my driver’s test yesterday but it got cancelled because of bad weather.
So I have, um, eight recipes on my memory cards that I haven’t posted yet. I want to get more organized this year so I’m starting by getting all of those posted, starting with this Healthy Eggplant Parmesan! I might have made this in October but it still tastes as good if you make it in January 😀 bonus points if you use eggplant from your garden like I did!
I had only had eggplant parmesan once before making this. It was after a softball tournament and I ate a huge plate of pasta to go along with the fried veggie. I specifically remember feeling SO bloated after! Olive Garden will do that to you 😉 This is so much healthier because it’s baked, topped with just enough cheese, yet still has a ton of flavor. I personally love the texture of the eggplant. Meaty but it still tasted light and fresh!
When does everyone else go back to school? My college class doesn’t start up again until the 12th so I’ll have a free hour all of this week!
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used rice bread crumbs)
- 2 eggs
- 1 24 oz jar pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4-1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375F. Whisk together eggs in a small bowl. Slice eggplant into 1/2 inch pieces, dip each side into the eggs, then breadcrumbs to coat. Place each slice on an oiled pan and bake for 15 minutes. Flip each piece and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Increase oven temp to 475F. In a rectangular baking dish (mine was 6 x 10), layer sauce, eggplant, cheese, and repeat. Bake until cheese melts and is golden brown in spots. Serve over pasta!