I am so proud of myself.
HOMEMADE energy bars!!
This is a big milestone for me in the food world. I finally got over my fear of blending dates and it was so easy! Like, everyone needs to go do it right now. I’ll wait.
OH, you should probably see how to do it first. 😉 I didn’t get to snap any pictures because it was dark out when I made these, but I’m sure that there will be many more recipes where I’ll get the chance to. For now, let’s talk about these Simple Peanut Butter Matcha Energy Bars! (ps there might be a giveaway at the end so just bear with me;)
The Yum Squad theme this month is the #MysteryIngredient Challenge – share a recipe with peanut butter and a mystery ingredient… matcha!
I’ve literally been seeing matcha EVERYWHERE. It’s basically the new kale.
I’m not an expert but from what I’ve seen, matcha is essentially green tea but it has more health benefits because you drink the whole leaf, as opposed to just water flavored from the leaf.
I’m actually not a big fan of green tea! I really want to like it, but I just can’t drink it straight up. With these, though, the taste is so subtle. You can totally add more matcha if you like the taste, or just leave it out if you want plain energy bars! Whatever you do, just be super proud knowing you made these yourself. Seriously, these taste just like a Larabar!
As for some real life updates, Spring Break 2k15 officially starts after school today! I’m not going anywhere this year because I still have my college class (I do NOT want to miss a week of Calc II) but it will be really nice to have a break from regular school! I want to get caught up on writing some posts (and SLEEP), but I’ll still be fairly busy – track practice everyday and work. But really you guys – I work from 10-8 tomorrow. That is a one-two-three-four-five-six-seven-eight-nine-TEN hour day. Plus a run before that. Wish me luck!!
I’m definitely going to be taking a few of these energy bars with me.. making pizza is hard work!
- 1 heaping cup dates
- 1/3 cup peanut butter (I used Smooth Operator)
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup oatmeal
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- If your dates aren't sticky, cover them with warm water for a few minutes. Take them out and pat just a little with a towel then remove the pits (if they have them) and place in a blender or food processor. Blend until there aren't any big clumps.
- Add in the peanut butter, oatmeal, hemp seeds, and sea salt and blend until incorporated.
- Add in the matcha and blend again. Take an 8 x 8 pan and line it with wax paper. Press the date mixture in with your hands and flatten it out. Cover with saran wrap and place in the fridge or freezer until firmed up.
- Cut into bars and love yourself for making this healthy snack!