Basketball practice starts today! For the next four months my life will revolve around shooting, rebounding, playing defense (and team dinners:). I’ll admit, it has been weird these past few weeks to not have a sports practice after school! Basketball is a totally different mindset (and training) than cross country but I’m ready to ball. 🙂
So this one bowl, vegan banana bread! I am in looove. Bananas just went $.10 a pound at the store so you bet I loaded up so I can make this again! I’ve been really into vegan baking/cooking lately (perfect for Meatless Monday!) because if you can veganize something, then why not? It’s definitely a goal of mine to live on a plant-based diet but I don’t think I can give up Grandma’s Lasagna just so I can have a “vegan” title. This bread, however, is just as good as your tradition oil/eggs/sugared up banana bread!
Ripe bananas are bæ. Does anyone even understand what that means? Actually, I do. And I kind of secretly love it. Just like I secretly love “I can’t even” and the hippie lifestyle (not the illegal stuff, obvs… just the whole being free and yourself and chill and not caring about the world but caring about it in a totally different way).
Ripe bananas act as a binder in place of the eggs, they provide natural sugar so you don’t need to add as much of that processed stuff, and they are just plain awesome. I love banana flavored anything. Remember the yellow laffy-taffy’s? That’s the only flavor I would eat and everyone thought they were so gross.
Banana bread is one of my all time favorite foods, right up there with nut butter and pizza. So if you want to make something for me, make banana bread. But actually don’t because I’ll eat the whole thing and be mad at you that I did that. But if you’re willing to take that risk…
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal + 2.5 tbsp water)
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3.5 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Make the flax egg by combining the water and ground flax in a small bowl and mixing together. In a blender, add the oats and blend until about half is oat flour and half is oat pieces. Grease and flour a bread pan.
- In a large bowl, add the bananas. Mash them until there are no lumps, then add the ingredients all the way up to the almond milk.
- Add in the almond flour, white whole wheat flour, and oats. Stir to evenly distribute. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350F for about an hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Wait for it to cool until you slice it!